In 2005, author Andy Crowe lead The Alpha Study, in order to determine which were the habits of those project managers continuously graded “excellent” by direct reports, managers and customers. This book publishes those study results, interleaving much wise advice by Andy Crowe and by some of the “alphas” (there are opinions by “non alphas” as well). It is an easy to read book, thanks to the summary sections closing each chapter and the final chapter with the conclusions.
The study's sample was chosen from the client base of Velociteach (mostly in North America). Interviews were conducted for more than 860 project managers and more than 4,400 stakeholders (customers, senior managers and team members). Surveys weighted 40% the opinion of customers, 30% for senior managers and 30% for team members.
Out of the 860 project managers, alphas were in the 98th percentile, that is, the 2% of them ranked globally higher than the other 98%. The 18 alpha project managers (6 women and 12 men) were based in the USA (except one Canadian).
Alpha Project Managers are those who consistently deliver on time, on cost, on scope, meeting quality standards, and properly managing expectations of stakeholders (customer, team, organization).